5 Hand Stretches for Nail Pros
When it comes to manicures, the hands are the focus. But if you're a nail professional, you know that there's more to hand health than just your fingers. In this post, we will describe 5 simple stretches that will keep your wrists and fingers limber and strong so they can handle all of your nail services!
The Hand Flex:
Flexing your fingers and thumbs can help to loosen up the ligaments in your hands. First, make a fist with both hands. Hold for 10 seconds, and then open them outwards. Repeat this 15 times and remember to breathe deeply throughout. This stretch will lengthen the ligaments in your fingers which can be helpful if you have arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Make a fist with your thumb up.
- Move your thumb in a circle clockwise.
- Repeat 5-10 times.
- Switch the direction to counterclockwise circles.
- Repeat an additional 10-15 times to loosen the tendons to keep thumbs flexible.
This simple stretch is a great way to start your routine, especially if you’re new to hand stretches.
Holding your hands upright with fingers spread comfortably apart, touch your thumbs to your pinky fingers, move on to the ring finger, and repeat until you’ve touched all four fingers. Repeat 10-15x each day for best results. This simple but effective stretch can help keep tendons supple and reduce pain in hands by releasing tension in the muscles and joints around them
- Sit in a chair with arms and rest your forearms and wrists on the arms of the chair.
- Allow your hands (palms down) to hang over the edge.
- Flex your wrists back toward you; then, relax to a neutral, hanging position.
- Lower your hands back down. Repeat 10 to 15 times.
Wrist rotation is a great way to stretch your wrists.